“Black mould could be a tricky problem for homeowners, potentially resulting in an expensive remediation process and even a variety of health issues.”
You’ve probably heard about the potential dangers of black mould, which is said to be a silent killer that hides in water damage and ceiling tiles. But what exactly is black mould? Is it also dangerous?
Black mould can be harmful to your health, primarily causing respiratory problems. But in severe forms and for individuals with pre-existing medical problems, black mould can cause pneumonia. It grows on moist, cellulose-rich surfaces like fibre-board, drywall, and gypsum board. Black mould is most attracted to moisture, therefore it stays in previously-flooded homes, clogged pipe areas, or somewhere with water damage.
“The great news is it’s fixable, removable, and preventable.”
3 TIPS TO REMOVE BLACK MOLD
If the black mould growth in your home is minor enough for you to treat on your own, and easy bleach and water mixture can work. Apply one cup of bleach to one gallon of water to the affected areas. Commercial black mould removal products are also available.
Apply the cleanser on the mould growth and scrape it away. When you’re finished, make sure to completely dry the area.
White vinegar is a moderately acidic product that cleans, deodorises, and disinfects. It could also kill 82% of mould species, such as black mould, on porous and non-porous surfaces. It is safe to use on most surfaces, and its unpleasant odour fades quickly.
Pour undiluted white vinegar into a plastic bottle. Since white vinegar contains just around 20% acetic acid, adding water dilutes its effectiveness. Splash the vinegar onto the mouldy area and leave for an hour. Next, wipe the area clean with water and leave it to dry. Any vinegar odour will disappear within a few hours.
This technique works well on glass, tile, and other nonporous surfaces. Although it does not kill the mould, combining soap and water and scrubbing the mould away is just as effective on nonporous surfaces.
These solutions are good non-toxic alternatives to chemical-based black mould removers, and most of them are indeed effective against mildew. They are both safe for your children and the environment.